• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Wilson, Cpl. McLaren, Pte. Diplaros - 1 RCR - 05 Dec. 2008

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the deaths of Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros
December 5, 2021

OTTAWA—My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were deeply saddened to hear of the tragic incident in Afghanistan that claimed the lives of three soldiers, Warrant Officer Robert John Wilson, Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros. All soldiers were from the 1st Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment, stationed in Petawawa, Ontario. 

Conducting themselves with honour, dignity and tremendous courage, these members of the Canadian Forces tirelessly gave their all as members of Task Force Kandahar’s Operational Mentor and Liaison Team. They held firm to their belief that they were making a valuable contribution to bringing the hope of peace, security, justice and a better future to the Afghan people, who have suffered through years of hostilities. I carry in my heart all of the women and men who risk their lives to serve our country and to help so many troubled communities around the world.

Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families, friends and comrades who are mourning the tragic loss of WO Wilson, Cpl McLaren and Pte Diplaros. May they find solace in knowing that Canadians will never forget the sacrifices they made, nor the importance of all they have accomplished.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media Information:
Marie-Ève Létourneau
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca

wildman0101

Mentor
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
rest in peace lads 
you will not be forgotten 
condolences to the family,,,comrades and friends
                                                                  scoty b

klacquement

Reaction score
I went to BMQ with Demetrios, it's shocking to see him in a news report :(

RIP to all three, and to all others who have made the supreme sacrifice.

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
An embedded Canadian poet's tribute to the fallen...

"one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

one one one one one

hundred"

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Aww CRAP!

To St. Micheal's ranks you go, brave Royal Canadians, for Heaven is yours to guard now.

Canada mourns your passing. 

John Nayduk

Reaction score
There were three others wounded about a hour before we lost these three soldiers, one very seriously.  Let's say a prayer for their recovery as well.

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
R.I.P.  :cdnsalute:

My condolences to loved ones, loving ones,  family, friends and colleagues.

rmc_wannabe

Reaction score

My condolenses to the families and my prayers to those that are injured.
Rest easy lads.

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Fri, December 5, 2021
Father of soldier killed in Afghanistan says son believed he made a difference
By THE CANADIAN PRESS

PETERBOROUGH, Ont. — The father of a Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan today says his son was a man of strong resolve who died believing in the work he was doing.

Cpl. Mark McLaren was killed along with two other soldiers when their armoured vehicle struck an improvised explosive device.

All three were members of the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont.

Alan McLaren tells Peterborough, Ont., radio station CKRU that his son believed he was making a difference in Afghanistan, and his family is proud of him.

He says his son lived life as he saw it and did exactly what he wanted.

The three deaths raises Canada’s military death toll for the Afghanistan mission to 100.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
To hear of more losses is always a blow. Losing someone you know is a shock.

McLaren,take care buddy. You'll be missed.

Not to try to take away from the other losses... It's just the first time it's been someone I know. Absolutely awesome guy.

Shitty day. Rest in peace brothers.

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Went to pickup my morning paper and saw this headline in the Toronto Sun.

http://tinyurl.com/5jd8y9

Brittany Obront will "never find another" man like her boyfriend, slain soldier Pte. Demetrios Diplaros.

How to break your heart on a Saturday morning.

Reaction score
All my respect to the familly of the falen
To all those who fought and died for the red and white.

100th fallen, hope that canadian citizen will understand that we got to stay there till the job's done, for those who fall.

RIP