• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thanks for the Help

Reaction score
but stewards are NOT simply military waiters
They need to update their recruitment video then because it made me think they were just waiters. Still doesn't interest me too much though. The sailing and possible firefighting interests me, but the job itself doesn't.

In other news, I think my application was nuked as soon as they received my email about who I contact to withdraw. Can't blame them, I have what is most likely the worst CFAT score in human history. Letting me in would be an insult to the nation.

Xylric

Reaction score
Pusser said:
I'll cut you some slack, because you obviously don't know, but stewards are NOT simply military waiters.  That's a very small part of what they do.  Furthermore, everybody in a ship is a sailor first and when the bullets start flying, no one is slinging cocktails.  The stewards are actually primarily make up the casualty clearing teams.  As for cooks, they are some of the hardest working and most popular folks in the armed forces and crucial to operational effectiveness.

This is absolutely true. During the First World War, my maternal great-grandfather was a cook. Round about this time of year in 1917, he was busy making breakfast at three in the morning. He had a hand in making what is probably the most influential breakfast in Canadian history. :)

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Xylric said:
He had a hand in making what is probably the most influential breakfast in Canadian history. :)

You have me curious. What is this breakfast?

Xylric

Reaction score
Technically, I gave you all the information you might have needed with the year. ;)

My great-grandfather was one of a surprising number of people involved with making sure that the four Canadian divisions were well fed on the morning of April 9th, 1917, prior to the ascent of Vimy Ridge. I'd say that there are many more breakfasts with a far greater influence on global history, but for Canada, that one breakfast was a meal shared by soldiers from all of Canada's regions. From what I was told by my grandfather growing up in Depression-era Nova Scotia, the distances of Canada were so vast that British Columbia seemed like a completely separate country when he was in school. One could make a case that the coalescence of the Canadian forces under Vimy Ridge shrank our country and helped tied it together, but there's been a lot of mythical significance attached to it over the years.

It's just a personal point of pride for me that my family's culinary tradition ties directly to one of the more notable events of Canadian martial history.