• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to engage in political discourse on Army.ca

Jed

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Brihard said:
It seems to be the worst system- except for all of the others that have been tried.

Rather like Churchill's comments on Democracy.

SeaKingTacco

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
With one or two notable exceptions, I think the political discourse on army.ca is a shining example to the rest of the internet.

Even when I don't agree with the points being made, I usually have to concede that the arguments are well made and generally not ad hominem (again, excepting one or two notable exceptions).

We can always do better, but I think there is much to applaud here in both how the mods handle things and in how most posters conduct themselves.

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
garb811 said:
To make it clear to all:

Use of the commenting ability in the MilPoints function is not a way around the tone and content requirements to participate in the political forums.  Attempts to circumvent the tone and content guidelines by doing this will result in the same sanctions as a post made in one of the threads.
Brought forward to reiterate.

Some of you have forgotten that commenting when awarding or deducting MilPoints will be held to the same standard as Mikes guidelines. It’s not a way to skirt the rules. It’s not a way to get a free pass on attacking a poster directly. 

It’s not that hard to be respectful to each other and act like the adults most of us are. If you can’t manage that, as Mike said, there are plenty of other websites where you can go and do that, if that is what you really need to do on these topics.

garb811

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
I received a PM from a user who was concerned that DS were reading the private messages that they had sent via the MilPoints system to another user.  MilPoints are fully public, including the comments you attach when awarding them.

Please see the MilPoints FAQ for the full details...

- Milnet.ca Staff

Baz

Donor
Reaction score
garb811 said:
It’s not that hard to be respectful to each other and act like the adults most of us are. If you can’t manage that, as Mike said, there are plenty of other websites where you can go and do that, if that is what you really need to do on these topics.

Mike and Staff,

Thank you for implementing and enforcing an environment of respectful discourse.  That is what allows a democracy to function.

There are lots of sites where people can't be respectful, and I've removed them all.  Army.ca is the only one I use now because I have no intention to listen to or engage the 5% at either end.

shawn5o

Reaction score
Thanks to all at Army.ca for this thread.

I appreciate your guidelines. Wish I read this thread earlier  :facepalm:

Cheers

shawn5o