• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boatswain (BOSN)

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
davidsonr_91 said:
Thanks for the company answer there chief I'm looking for more detailed answers than the recruiting website is willing to give but thanks for coming out.lol

The answers are all there on the recruiting website, or can be found here on this site.  Why are you giving someone a hard time for telling you in not so many words that you need to take it upon yourself to look up this information?

You want the OT, don't expect everything handed to you on a silver platter.

matt4545

Reaction score
I agree, I can talk from first hand experience with an OT. You have to be the one willing to do the work , because at the end of the day you are just another file and they couldn't honestly care less about that file. You have to go visit the BPSO and call them and a regular basis to keep your file moving. It involves more work than just going and saying " I want to be a BOSN now". Coming on here and just asking questions because you want "more detailed" answers is just and excuse for laziness.  If you want to be spoon fed everything in your life, like you want here then I suggest you VR. That's not what the CF is about.

Scott

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
davidsonr_91 said:
Thanks for the company answer there chief I'm looking for more detailed answers than the recruiting website is willing to give but thanks for coming out.lol

Wind your neck in, you got advice. Just because it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, which might not even be available via these means (as pointed out), doesn't give you the right to flap your gums like that.

Scott
Staff

Reaction score
Ok. To start off I applied for infantry reserves  because of my left eye qualifying me for  V4 in the vision standards. And the only suitable occupation I got left with is BOSN(Boatswain). Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much,  if any chance I want to try supply technician or weapons technician. And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ?  Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ? I live in Edmonton.

DAA

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
cemalyukselir said:
Ok. To start off I applied for infantry reserves  because of my left eye qualifying me for  V4 in the vision standards. And the only suitable occupation I got left with is BOSN(Boatswain). Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much,  if any chance I want to try supply technician or weapons technician. And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ?  Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ? I live in Edmonton.

You can apply for any occupation where the Vision standards are V4. 
--->  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/officer-ncm-minimum-medical-standards.page

If you are interested in Bosn, that occupation belongs to the Naval Reserve and in your area that means HMCS Nonsuch.  Reserves do BMQ in various locations and it all depends on both the Unit and Element.  Naval Reserve BMQ is held annually in Quebec City.

Off the top of my head and only a guess but did you bother to contact a local Reserve Unit in your area before applying online?

JOINING THE RESERVES
If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available and then apply online.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
cemalyukselir said:
Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ?

Reservists usually begin training in their Naval Reserve Davison to prepare them for the Basic Military Naval Qualification course. Following basic training and naval environmental training, Boatswains complete their occupation qualification at either the Canadian Forces Fleet School in Esquimalt, British Columbia or the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School in Halifax, Nova Scotia for approximately nine weeks.
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/boatswain-14#train

A Guide to BMNQ (Basic Military Naval Qualification)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/114955.0

cemalyukselir said:
And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ? 

Part-time employment is normally in the Boatswain’s NRD; some part-time training is conducted on weekends at naval schools or in ships afloat.  Casual full-time employment in ships and at naval schools is normally available in the summer months.
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/boatswain-14#parttimeemployment

runormal

Reaction score
cemalyukselir said:
Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much, 

For the love of god do not join the reserves just for the sake of getting in. First you typically need to qualified in your old trade, then you need find a unit to transfer to that has a spot for you. From there you need support from your COC, the gaining units COC as well as Brigade this takes time a lot of time. Then you will need to re qualify in your new trade burning summers that you could be used to gain actual experience in your program of study or an opportunity to take PLQ.

Alternatively you could get laser eye surgery now wait 6 months to reapply and get your v1 category.

You could also wait until spots open in the trades that you want in other units.

Also if you think that you will be able to easily change trades when transferring from reserve - reg force you are in for a world of hurt. Even in the reserves find a job that you will think you will like for a career.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the daily life of a Boatswain. I know in the Army after you complete all training you get assigned to a base and can live on or off base and you pretty much settle there until your forced to move. I was wondering how it worked for the Navy and as a Boatswain in particular.

Thanks!!

max021

Reaction score
home port routine
residence:eek:ff base
working hours :0800 to1600
task done often: grinding painting
          maintenance of rope and working
          space. verification of life preserver
          running small boat engine to
            ensure they start easily.cleaning
            station .cleanibg small arm,clean reversible eye pad .shovels or wash upper decks

task accomplished once in a while
rigging job (with chain hoist and other tool)
driving small boat in harbour.crane operating,maintenance of RAS equipmen

duty ;every 8 to 16 day were you spent the night onboard in case of emergency i seen it go down to every 4 days.

At Sea
from OS TO LS (3 TO 4 YEARS)
working shift about 12.5 hours days
no week end unless in foreign port.
sometime rest period are cut short by round robin , excercise or onboard emergency.also second duty such has ship diver or NBP will take time from rest period on few occassion

job for the 12 hour a day is watch ob deck .3 different position

lookout: stare out the window to found stuff other than water to look at .
helsman :drive the ship  mostky stare at wall 2 feet away from you and match the number by turning a small wheel.
bosnmate work the intercom system do routine pipe and emergency pipe uf needed

truly watch on deck are pretty boring the job gets fun when the ship does RAS or anchoring launching small boat ..50 cal shoot

trade advancement
average 6 to 8 years service to get MS
2 to 3 year has MS to get PO2

but Promotion really depends on your PER and connection and above all your work ethic.

msg in pv if you want more info

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Sabaton said:
home port routine
residence:eek:ff base
working hours :0800 to1600
task done often: grinding painting
          maintenance of rope and working
          space. verification of life preserver
          running small boat engine to
            ensure they start easily.cleaning
            station .cleanibg small arm,clean reversible eye pad .shovels or wash upper decks

task accomplished once in a while
rigging job (with chain hoist and other tool)
driving small boat in harbour.crane operating,maintenance of RAS equipmen

duty ;every 8 to 16 day were you spent the night onboard in case of emergency i seen it go down to every 4 days.

At Sea
from OS TO LS (3 TO 4 YEARS)
working shift about 12.5 hours days
no week end unless in foreign port.
sometime rest period are cut short by round robin , excercise or onboard emergency.also second duty such has ship diver or NBP will take time from rest period on few occassion

job for the 12 hour a day is watch ob deck .3 different position

lookout: stare out the window to found stuff other than water to look at .
helsman :drive the ship  mostky stare at wall 2 feet away from you and match the number by turning a small wheel.
bosnmate work the intercom system do routine pipe and emergency pipe uf needed

truly watch on deck are pretty boring the job gets fun when the ship does RAS or anchoring launching small boat ..50 cal shoot

trade advancement
average 6 to 8 years service to get MS
2 to 3 year has MS to get PO2

but Promotion really depends on your PER and connection and above all your work ethic.

msg in pv if you want more info

You forgot being boat coxn in a tiny little zodiac in 6m swells for rescue stations...that's a ton of fun, especially when they don't understand the concept of "making a lee"...

max021

Reaction score
boat coxn is the best part of the job. But if you want to be given this position you must fight for it. You have to prove to you chief bosn mate that your are knowledgefull ,responsible,able to think quickly to solve problem and if ever your engine can start on launch.Never ever make eyes contact with the people overlooking the ship side.

i am leaving the bosn trade this year and will miss rough sea and being boat cox'n.