• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

macarena

Reaction score
macarena said:
(...)
In Brazil, the official report from the government [1], yesterday, announced 8 confirmed cases.
Today morning, the state of Bahia [2] (northeastern region), confirmed its 1st case, bringing us to a total of 9.
(...)

Hi, mates!
I regret to inform, but Brazil seems to have just reach 100 cases [1]. To make it worst, it seems to have double the confirmed cases in 2 days.
Hospital in São Paulo state has confirmed today 60 cases in a single day [2].
The official word from the Brazilian Ministry of Health about these new cases didn't came yet.

[1] Wikipedia - but points out to many references
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Brazil

[2] in portuguese only
https://g1.globo.com/sp/sao-paulo/noticia/2020/03/12/hospital-albert-einstein-em-sp-confirma-98-casos-de-coronavirus-ate-esta-quinta-feira.ghtml

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Donor
Reaction score
The PM's wife has tested positive, which results in the following obvious question:

What was she doing with Tom Hanks?

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
The PM's wife has tested positive, which results in the following obvious question:

Oh you are good! 👍

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
CAF members are now prohibited to travel outside of Canada for both personal and work reasons!

dapaterson

Army.ca Myth
Donor
Reaction score
First Nations twitter is lit:

Look, I fully support banning travel from Europe to prevent the spread of infectious disease.

I just think it’s 528 years too late.

https://twitter.com/rebeccanagle/status/1238229779666657282

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
dapaterson said:

Look, I fully support banning travel from Europe to prevent the spread of infectious disease.

:rofl:

MM

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
dapaterson said:

But don't worry, the PM isn't bothering to be tested because "he doesn't have any symptoms right now".

Real smart.

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
SupersonicMax said:
CAF members are now prohibited to travel outside of Canada for both personal and work reasons!

How about DND civilian employees?

How about Class A Reserves?

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
ZDoggMD update on what happens if you get sick with this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyQj1HtWTEo

MM

Spencer100

Reaction score
dapaterson said:

I laughed at that one

Plus I had tickets to Universal Studios damn

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Jarnhamar said:
But don't worry, the PM isn't bothering to be tested because "he doesn't have any symptoms right now".

Real smart.

That’s a medical call. Especially if newly infected, it might not be present in the nose yet. No point swabbing false negatives. They’ll be assuming he is anyway, and as soon as he shows symptoms I’m sure he’ll get the joyful experience of the deep nose swab too. Friggin’ sucked when I got it done.

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The National Guard has deployed 150 troops to the effort.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/more-than-150-national-guard-troops-activated-for-coronavirus-response-in-four-states-1.622227

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Brihard said:
That’s a medical call. Especially if newly infected, it might not be present in the nose yet. No point swabbing false negatives. They’ll be assuming he is anyway, and as soon as he shows symptoms I’m sure he’ll get the joyful experience of the deep nose swab too. Friggin’ sucked when I got it done.

Worse than being a bit drunk and snorting your dog-tag chain through your nose and through the back of your throat and out your mouth?  #askingforafriend

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Good2Golf said:
Worse than being a bit drunk and snorting your dog-tag chain through your nose and through the back of your throat and out your mouth?  #askingforafriend

Probably? Dog tags are smooth. I've had a nasalpharyngeal airway inserted the whole way, and that sucked, but wasn't as profoundly uncomfortable as this was. And at leas the NPA had lube. The 'swab' is in fact covered in bristles.

medicineman

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Brihard said:
Probably? Dog tags are smooth. I've had a nasalpharyngeal airway inserted the whole way, and that sucked, but wasn't as profoundly uncomfortable as this was. And at leas the NPA had lube. The 'swab' is in fact covered in bristles.

At least the newer ones are more flexible - old ones were wire that didn't have a good much bend in them.  These are much more pleasant.

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
Being on his island so long, maybe he needed a change from Wilson?

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Latest Johns Hopkins #'s from overnight ....

Attachments

• JH-covid19-130046edt-mar-2020.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 77

211RadOp

Reaction score
Canadian scientists make COVID-19 research breakthrough, isolating virus

Nicole Bogart

Nicole Bogart CTVNews.ca Writer
@nlynnbogart Contact
.Published Friday, March 13, 2021 9:13AM EDT  Last Updated Friday, March 13, 2021 9:55AM EDT

TORONTO --A group of Canadian scientists has successfully isolated and grown copies of the novel coronavirus responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic, paving the way for a potential vaccine.

Researchers say isolating the virus will help develop treatments, vaccines and tests for the virus and allow them to conduct long-term research to understand the biology of COVID-19.

"We need key tools to develop solutions to this pandemic,” Dr. Samira Mubareka, microbiologist and infectious diseases physician at Sunnybrook, said in a statement.

“While the immediate response is crucial, longer-term solutions come from essential research into this novel virus."

The team, made up of scientists from Sunnybrook Hospital, McMaster University and the University of Toronto, used samples taken from two Canadian COVID-19 patients to replicate the virus in a level three containment facility at the University of Toronto in a matter of weeks.

Mubareka says having access to the virus will allow researchers to start working on potential solutions to the pandemic before the outbreak peaks in Canada.

Meanwhile, Quebec-based biotech Medicago says it has taken the first step towards a vaccine by producing a virus-like particle of the novel coronavirus, which will now undergo testing for safety and efficacy.

As of Friday morning, there were 159 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada, including the Prime Minister’s wife Sophie Gregoire Trudeau.

The virus, declared a pandemic earlier this week by the World Health Organization, has infected 135,318 people worldwide and killed 4,981. However, 69,642 people have recovered from the virus.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadian-scientists-make-covid-19-research-breakthrough-isolating-virus-1.4851641

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
milnews.ca said:
Latest Johns Hopkins #'s from overnight ....

The Hopkins dashboard has been ‘stuck’ for over 24 hours. Diagnosed figures are probably 6-8k higher now. Undiagnosed cases are probably an order of magnitude larger...