RE: Pistol Replacement

The accuracy of each Browning (aside from the competence of the firer) is
pretty well a function of age and wear on the pistols' moving parts. I
remember Battalion pistol teams in the mid-eightys scouring base weapon
vaults for late series (7Ts ?) weapons with little wear for transfer to
unit accounts. No rattle in the slide and clean rifling meant smaller groups.
In the hands of the average user (mostly officers, of course) the true
effective range of the pistol was directly proportional to the length of
the lanyard.
Officer used to carry pistols because their hands were then free for the
other tools of their trade: maps, compass, binos, radio handset, walking
stick, white china mug of rum at the Ortona crossroads   ;)
And they weren't tempted to participate in the firefight like they may be
with a rifle.
Platon Warrants liked them too, you could tie a pistol to a tired
Lieutenant and he  could do his job and wouldn't wander off without it.   ;)
mike
At 11:15 AM 6/26/00 PDT, you wrote:
>The probem with the current pistol is the great variety of performance.
>Some of the pistols are in great shape... some of them aren't.  I'm told by
>one of my WO (who is most definately a fire-arms expert) that this is common
>for this particular pistol.
>
>Interestingly enough, when I was still in the Regs, and posted to St. Jean
>for french-language training, the former air force base had some incredibly
>accurate pistols, and an unbelievable amount of amunition.  We fired the
>pistols at least once a week for almost 10 months, most of us did it twice a
>week.
>
>Steve
>
>>From: Derrick Forsythe <[email protected]>
>>
>>I haven't heard anything - but if it ain't broke - why fix it

Michael, Miriam and Roland O'Leary
Visit The Regimental Rogue at:
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/index.htm
The address [email protected] will cease to be effective on 27 Jun 2000.
Return e-mails should be directed to [email protected] until I have a
new 'permanent' address. - MMO