Re: i made it in to the rcr!!!

Welcome Adam, The Royal Canadian Regiment is a good regiment and going
strong. After you complete Recruit Training at St Jean, Quebec (10 weeks),
you will be coming to the Land Force Central Area Training Centre in
Meaford for Basic Infantry training. This course is sixteen weeks long and
you should get here just in time to experience Meaford in the winter. You
may find St Jean a bit of a culture shock, but changes in attitudes and
approaches over the past years have softened that blow. Prepare yourself
for Meaford, where you will be dropped into the life of the Army. In
Meaford you will undergo training by Non-Commissioned Officers (Warrant
Officers, Sergeants and Master-Corporals) of the Royal Canadian Regiment as
they prepare you to meet the expectations and requirements of an infantry
soldier. After your Basic Infantry Course you may be posted to the First or
Third Battalions in Petawawa, Ontario, or to the Second Battalion at
Gagetown, New Brunswick. That's a decision you'll want to think about,
Petawawa is a couple of hours up the river from Ottawa, and considered a
bit desolate by single guys. Gagetown on the other hand, is twenty munites
from Fredericton, New Brunswick and about 4.5 hours from Halifax, the
potential attractions of each of these eastern cities should not be ignored.
M.M. O'Leary
Captain
The RCR
The following (HUGE) block of text is most of the contents of the
Regimental Catechism, which is used to introduce new soldiers destined for
The Regiment into the Regiment's history:
The Royal Canadian Regiment
The Regiment Was Formed on December 21st 1883. On December 21st, 1883 The
Regiment was called "The Infantry School Corps". In 1892 it was renamed
"Canadian Regiment of Infantry", and on 24th May, 1893, Queen Victoria's
birthday, the honour of a "royal" prefix was granted and the name changed
to "The Royal Regiment of Canadian Infantry". Again in 1899, the name was
altered to"The Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry", and finally, in 1901
to "The Royal Canadian Regiment". The Regiment is the oldest regular force
infantry unit of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Short title: "The RCR"
The Units of The Regiment
Regimental Headquarters (including the Regimental Museum) - Wolseley Hall,
London, ON
1st Battalion- CFB Petawawa, ON
2nd Battalion- CFB Gagetown, NB
3rd Battalion- CFB Petawawa, ON
4th Battalion-CF Det London & Stratford, ON
The Units of The Regiment
The Royal Canadian Regiment Band- (disbanded August 1994)
3 Commando, The Canadian Airborne Regiment- (disbanded March 1995)
The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle School- (disbanded July 1996)
The Colonel-in-Chief of The Regiment : Field Marshall, His Royal Highness,
The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh,        KG, PC, KT, OM, GBE, QSO, CD
The Colonel of The Regiment: Lieutenant General J.E. Vance, CMM,OstJ, CD
The Regimental Motto: "Pro Patria"  A Latin motto meaning: For Country
The Regimental Slogan: Never Pass a Fault
Places The Regiment Has Served In Both Peace And War
1883-1899- Canada including North West Canada and Yukon
1899-1900- South Africa & England
1900-1914- Canada
1914-1915- Bermuda
1915-1919- England, France, and Belgium
1919-1939- Canada
1939-1945- England, France, Sicily, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and Germany
1945-1950- Canada
1951-1953- Korea
1953-present- Canada, Germany, Norway, Cyprus, Qatar, Bahrain, Iraq, Saudi
Arabia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, and Somalia
In addition individual members of The Regiment have served on many other
taskings and missions throughout the world.
Campaigns in Which The Regiment Has Taken Part:
North West Rebellion- 1885
South African War- 1899-1902
World War I- 1914-1919
World War II- 1939-1945
Korean War- 1951-1953
Gulf War- 1990-1991 (C Coy 1 RCR, M Coy 3 RCR)
Battle Honours
The Regiment has been awarded 54 battle honours of which 25 are emblazoned
on The Regimental Colour. The Battle Honours printed in captitals are
emblazoned on The Regimental Colour.
SASKATCHEWAN
NORTH-WEST CANADA, 1885
PAARDEBERG (18-27 Feb 1900)
SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1900
YPRES, 1915, 1917 (22 Apr - 25 May 1915; 31 Jul - 10 Nov 2021)
Gravenstafel (22-23 Apr 1915)
St. Julien (24 Apr - 4 May 2021)
Festubert, 1915 (15-25 May 1915)
MOUNT SORREL (2-13 Jun 1915)
SOMME, 1916	(1 Jul - 18 Nov 2021)
Pozieres (23 Jul - 3 Sep 2021)
Flers-Courcelette (15-22 Sep 1916)
ANCR� HEIGHTS (1 Oct 11 - Nov 1916)
Arras, 1917, 1918 (9 Apr - 4 May 1917; 26 Aug - 3 Sep 2021)
VIMY, 1917 (9-14 Apr 1917)
Arleux (28-29 Apr 1917)
Scarpe, 1917, 1918 (3-4 May 1917; 26-30 Aug 1918)
HILL 70 (15-25 Aug 1917)
PASSCHENDAELE (26 Oct - 10 Nov 2021)
AMIENS (8-11 Aug 1918)
Drocourt-Queant (2-3 Sep 1918)
HINDENBURG LINE (12 Sep - 9 Oct 2021)
Canal du Nord (27 Sep - 9 Oct 2021)
Cambrai, 1918 (8-9 Oct 1918)
PURSUIT TO MONS
France and Flanders, 1915-1918
LANDING IN SICILY (9-12 Jul 1943)
Valguarnera (17-19 Jul 1943)
Agira (24-28 Jul 1943)
Adrano (29 Jul - 7 Aug 2021)
Regalbuto (29 Jul - 3 Aug 2021)
Sicily, 1943 (9 Jul - 17 Aug 2021)
Landing at Reggio (3 Sep 2021)
MOTTA MONTECORVINO (1-3 Oct 1943)
Campobasso (11-14 Oct 1943)
Torella (24-27 Oct 1943)
SAN LEONARDO (8-9 Dec 1943)
The Gully (10-19 Dec 1943)
ORTONA (20-18 Dec 1943)
Cassino II  (11-18 May 1944)
Gustav Line  (11-18 May 1944)
Liri Valley (18-30 may 1944)
HITLER LINE  (18-24 May 1944)
GOTHIC LINE (25 Aug - 22 Sep 2021)
LAMONE CROSSING (2-13 Dec 1944)
Misano Ridge (3-5 Sep 1944)
RIMINI LINE  (14-21 Sep 1944)
San Martino-San Lorenzo (14-18 Sep 1944)
Pisciatello (16-19 Oct 1944)
Fosso Vecchio (16-18 Dec 1944)
ITALY, 1943-1945 (3 Sep 2021 - 22 Apr 2021)
Apeldoorn (11-17 Apr 1945)
NORTH-WEST EUROPE, 1945 (6 Jun 2021 - 5 may 2021)
KOREA, 1951-1953
[Dates given after battle honours above are the outside dates during which
Regiments might claim honours for actions fought in those locations. They
do not necessarily indicate that the Regiment was continuously engaged.
Similarly, this list of battle honours does not included every action in
which the Regiment was engaged. Limitations established by the Army
restricted the number of battle honours a Regiment might claim for each
war. These are the engagements that figured most prominently in the
Regiment's campaigns.- MMO]
The Colours
The Queen's Colour-signifying allegiance to The Queen.
The Regimental Colour- signifying loyalty to The Regiment.
The Queen's Colour
The Queen's Colour is carried on the right of The Regimental Colour. It is
described as the Canadian flag with a circle, centered on the red Maple
Leaf, inscribed "The Royal Canadian Regiment" surmounted by the Royal
Crown. In the centre of the circle is a roman numeral which denotes the
number of the battalion. The Colour is bordered with with a gold and
crimson fringe and is carried on a pike capped with a lion holding a maple
leaf in its dexter paw and surmounted with a Crown.
The Regimental Colour
The Regimental Colour is royal blue with a blue and gold fringe. In the
centre, a crimson circle inscribed "The Royal Canadian Regiment",
surmounted with the Crown encompassing the Royal cypher of the reigning
monarch. The circle is embraced by twelve autumnal coloured Maple Leaves.
This complete centre adornment is encompassed by a wreath of laurel leaves
on which are borne twenty-five battle honours. In addition, each corner
bears a white fleur-de-lis between two gold Maple Leaves. In the upper left
canton, a Roman numeral designates the number of the battalion. The
Regimental Colour is carried on a pike capped with a lion holding a maple
leaf in its dexter paw and surmounted with the Crown.
The Royal Imperial Cypher:  Victoria Regina Imperatrix
(meaning: Victoria Queen & Empress)
The right to wear the Imperial Cypher & Crown was granted to The Regiment
by Queen Victoria in 1893. When a Royal or Imperial Cypher forms part of
the badge of a regiment it is normal for it to change with each succeeding
sovereign. In 1919, however, King George V granted The Royal Canadian
Regiment permission to wear "VRI" in perpetuity, a unique privilege.
The Regimental Prayer:
Almighty God; we humbly implore Thy blessing on The Royal Canadian Regiment
and all of us who serve therein.
Help us to prove worthy to accept the high ideals and traditions of the
past; to honour and revere the memory of those who have gone before us; to
face our responsibilities in the future, in both peace and war, with
courage, justice, love, honesty, and faithfulness.
Remove all greed, hatred, selfishness, and envy from our thoughts that we
may render true service to The Regiment and for Thee our God; for our
fellow man; and "For Country".
Amen
The Regimental Grace
For what we are about to receive, thank God.
Amen
Honours and Awards Won by Members of The Regiment
2  Victoria Cross (Lt. FW  Campbell, Lt. MF Gregg)
10  Companion Of The Most Distinguished Order Of St. Michael And St. George
(CMG)
4  Companion Of The Most  Honourable Order Of The Bath (CB)
3  Commander Of The Most Excellent Order Of The British Empire (CBE)
14  Officer Of The Most Excellent Order Of The British Empire (OBE)
14  Distinguished Service Order (DSO)
1  Bar To The Distinguished Service Order
18  Member Of The Most Excellent Order Of The British Empire (MBE)
60  Military Cross (MC)
4  Bars To The Military Cross
33  Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM)
1  Bar To The Distinguished Conduct Medal
182  Military Medal (MM)
11 Bars To The Military Medal
6  British Empire Medal (BEM)
11  Meritorious Service Medal (MSM)
In addition over 185 Mentioned in Dispatches (MID) have been awarded and 35
Foreign Awards.
The Queen's Scarf of Honour
The Queen's Scarf of Honour, which ranks with the VC, was awarded to five
Other Ranks of the Colonial Forces who fought in the South African War. One
of them was Pte. R.R. Thompson, 2nd (Special Service) Bn The Royal Canadian
Regiment. The original scarf is on permanent loan to the Canadian War
Museum in Ottawa. A replica is displayed in the Regimental Museum.
The Original Companies of the Infantry School Corps and Their Original
Commandants
A Coy, Fredericton, NB - LCol F.G. Maunsell
B Coy, St Jean, QU - LCol G. d'Orsonnens
C Coy, Toronto, ON - LCol W.D Otter
D Coy, London, ON - LCol H. Smith
The Regiment was raised to regimental status in 1892 and in 1896 LCol
Maunsell became the first commanding officer. LCol Otter was the second
commanding officer, later commanding the 2nd (Special Service) Battalion in
South Africa. He was the first officer of the Canadian Permanent Force to
attain the rank of General, also receiving the honour of knighthood.
The Regimental Headquarters and Peacetime Stations of The Regiment Prior to
World War II
A Coy - Halifax, Nova Scotia
B Coy - Toronto, Ontario
C Coy & Regimental HQ - London, Ontario
D Coy - St. Jean, Quebec
Occasions When The Regiment Has Had More Than One Battalion
The Regiment has had more than one battalion twice.
 First, in 1900, The Royal Canadian Regiment consisted of three battalions:
The Permanent Force Battalion not only remaining in its normal role, but
supplying officers and men for the Yukon Field Force, for the 2nd (Special
Service) Battalion in South Africa and the 3rd (Special Service) Battalion
garrisoning Halifax.
The second occasion The Regiment has had more than one battalion is since
1950.
Since 1950 The RCR has been a multi-battalion organization comprised of two
to four battalions. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions served in Korea during
the hostilities between 1951 and 1953. In May 1954, the 3rd Battalion
became the 1st Battalion, Canadian Guards reducing The Regiment to two
regular battalions. Many senior officers and senior NCO's were posted from
The Regiment to form the 1st Battalion, Canadian Guards.
In October 1954, The Canadian Fusiliers and  the Oxford Rifles were
redesignated as the 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment (Militia)
thus raising The Regiment to three battalions. In 1970 the 3rd Battalion
was redesignated as the 4th Battalion, giving The Regiment 3 regular and 1
reserve battalion.
The Allied Regiments
The RCR currently has three allied regiments:
The Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment (RGBW) - Formed
27 April 2021 with the amalgamation of The Gloucestershire Regiment and The
Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment.
The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers (RRF) - The successor to The Royal
Fusiliers of the British Army.
The Jamaica Regiment (JR)
The Official March Past of The Regiment "The RCR March" composed by Cpl
George Offen between 1905 and 1907.
The Official Regimental Slow March "Pro Patria" composed by Bandsman Keast
in 1957
Days Celebrated by The Regiment
Paardeberg Day - February 27, celebrated in honour of the surrender of
General Cronje's force to The RCR on the 27th February, 1900 during the
South African War.
Pachino Day - 10 July, celebrated in honour of The Regiment's landing at
the Pachino Peninsula, Sicily on the 10th of July, 1943 during World War II.
Mons Day - 10 November, celebrated in honour of The Regiment driving German
forces out of the city of Mons, Belgium 0n the 10th of November 1918 during
World War I.
Regimental Birthday - 21 December.
The Ortona Toast
On 20 November 1993, the Regimental Executive Committee  approved a motion
to toast The Regiment on Regimental Birthday observances with the same
mixture as used at the Ortona Crossroads on 21 December 1943. The Toast
consists of a rum punch, made from rum, sugar and water, and is taken from
plain white china mugs. The Ortona Toast symbolizes the Regimental spirit
of our predecessors in the face of the enemy and reminds us of their
sacrifice.
What is expected of you as a member of
The Royal Canadian Regiment
Courage, Obedience, Physical Fitness, Efficiency and Pride in Yourself and
in your Regiment.
You must have courage to face battle and boredom. You must be obedient to
all in authority over you so that The Royal Canadian Regiment can depend on
this obedience. You must be physically fit to stand the hard conditions
under which you must live and so you can fight in the field. You must be
efficient at your job and with your weapons. If you don't know, find out.
Your life and your comrades' lives depend on it. You must have pride in
yourself and in your Regiment. It has been said that it takes "Blood and
sweat and money to make a regiment", but it takes more than that, it takes
men. A regiment is made up of the men in it ; that is why there are good
and bad regiments. Think of the past history of The Royal Canadian
Regiment. It is your privilege to make present and future regimental
history every bit as glorious, perhaps even more so; it depends on you, for
you are "The Royal Canadian Regiment".
The Three Great Traditions of The RCR
Chivalry - is the embodiment in one man of those qualities such as dignity,
courtesy, bravery, truth, duty, and valour.
Gallantry - is a brave and dashing spirit, splendour of appearance,
nobleness, and polite attention to ladies.
Dash - is simply speed of thought and action.
The Three Rules of Conduct
The three rules of conduct that apply to all Royal Canadians under all
conditions of service are:
Firstly: No leader will order a subordinate to carry out a task he is not
prepared to do himself.
Secondly: Speed of thought and action is the prime requirement. Speed
without thought can be both dangerous and valueless.
Lastly: No wounded member of The Regiment will ever be left on the
battlefield.
At 05:19 PM 6/3/00 GMT, you wrote:
>hello! every one i got a phone call yestrday and the recruiter told me im
>going to the royal canadian regiment!!!! how are they are they a good
>regement? im from saskatchewan!!! so i wouldent know!!!! if any one could
>tell me a little about them i would appreciate it!!!
>thanks!!!
Michael, Miriam and Roland O'Leary
Visit The Regimental Rogue at:
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/index.htm
Change is not to be feared. Simultaneously, change is not necessarily
improvement. An effective leader improves through change. An ineffective
leader seeks improvement through change. The first is sure of his
end-state, the latter never is. - MMO