Re: Map-Using, was Re: Pistol Replacement

Agree totally Michael.
You may be sad to find out that Scotty Dog wood no longer looks like it's
namesake after the new maps have come out.  Just sort of a blob of trees
nowadays.
Steve
PS:  Locating gunners have to know our way around by contours extremely
well.  I was taught by my NCOs... "OK Sir, you've been in the back of the CP
for this hour-long road move, get out and tell me where we are within 3
minutes".  Amazing what being put on the spot will do for you.
>From: "Michael O'Leary" <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Map-Using, was Re: Pistol Replacement
>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2021 21:27:45 -0400

<SNIP>
>It seems that map-using is the ultimate OJT event, with foreseeable
>results. And as a rule, it is those officers (or NCOs) who are required to
>use their maps in everyday execution of their duties that eventually learn
>the necessary skills to do it well: gunners and mortarmen (usually), recce
>(when they're being recce and not just posing with a tank-hunting knife
>strapped upsidedown to their web gear), the air observers were damn good at
>it (but only at 120 kph). Too many others depended on the few naturals in
>their midst, content to follow in convoy or to simply follow the well-worn
>tracks from "Square Wood" to the "Scotty Dog" beacuse that's where the next
>objective always is, without concsiously following the contours or reading
>the ground.
>
>This is why the RV series was so good for the army's small unit comanders
>(section/TC/detachment to coy/sqn/bty). It put pretty well everyone on new
>terrain. And when it was run in Suffield, they old pros didn't have the
>luxury of just driving from one treeline to the next. As a young mortar
>platoon second-in-command on RV 85 doing recce, baseplate preparations, and
>leading in the OP parties when necessary, it was where I suddenly realized
>I was reading my map, rather than just following the roads and woodlines (a
>lucky combination of nervous sweat, hard work and damn good NCOs in the
>platoon to watch over me). I certainly wasn't taught that degree of
>map-using in training, and the package hasn't changed since then.
>
>mike

<SNIP>