Re: US Threat - III

Study history. Start with the Monroe Doctrine and Manifest Destiny
as policies and find out if the policies of hemispheric domination
have ever been revoked either in word or in practice (Grenada,
Nicaragua, the list goes on and on). Study the Fenian Raids, permitted
by the U.S. Goverenment turning a blind eye (encouraging) the Fenians to
raid Canada. Study the threat we had to invasion of (what is now)
Manitoba during the Columbia River dispute circa 1846 where we (the HBC)
had the Brits put a battalion of troops (6th Foot) into Fort Gary to
guard against the invasion from the South.(Would the Brits come again?.
Not bloody likely, mate).
Study the Yukon Gold rush in the closing years of the 1800s. There was a
minor(sic) border dispute and Canada put token troops in the Yukon to
handle the 30,000 mostly U.S. "invaders".
OK, 100 years ago or more. Plus ca change?
Due to inept Canadian governments, the U.S. gets what it wants without
an army of occupation (let's not include the 19,000 troops that were
stationed north of Edmonton in WW2 for the "Alcan" Highway (actually
built in large measure by contractors who are or have recently been
HCols of Western Canadian regiments, but that's another story).
Inept? An American company (Imperial Esso) (OK, partly American) found
oil near Leduc in 1947. Our Government then let U.S. oil giants finance
the large Alberta petrochemical infrastructure with money the U.S. firms
borrowed from Canadian banks on small margins.It wasn't U.S. money
pumped into Canada to complete the search for oil, petrochemical plant
erection, etc. downstream. It was "our" money and they have the equity!
A silent invasion.
Much of downtown Denver is today owned by Canadians, for example;
Canadian money is found throughout the U.S. in large gobs, but in
relative terms spread thin. The U.S. will never need to invade us, they
have us by the balls already - we just don't vote for U.S. senators.
Seems we have even less "say" than Puerto Rico. But, oh, some of my best
friends are Yanks and I'd rather be nestled up next to the U.S. of A.
than to Russia or China. It's just that the U.S. is an "evil" empire,
but less evil than the others and a natural consequence of their
economic (and therefore military) might.