Re: Ideal CF Size?

This is always a great topic of discusion and, as always, Mike hits the
nail on the head.  A nations force structure is dictated by two main
themes.  First is the threat to the nation which can be explained as ...
no threat...no military, or conversely, large threat...large military.
The second theme is the role the nation wants to play in the world.
Does it want to be capable of policy (read force - ecomomic, military,
etc, etc) projection to areas other then its own?
Canada does not have a threat.  Hence we have a small military.  As I
have mentioned before, the major threat to Canada is the United
States...how do you defend your soveignty against a super power?  Lord
knows Ms Copps has been wrestling with that question for years.
Canada wants to use "soft power" to help nations in need and only a
small part of this is in the form of the "boy scouts".  The RCMP, CIDA,
NGOs, etc are all part of the Governments policy of using federal and
NGOs to nation build (as we're doing in Bosnia) vice, the traditional
forms of peacekeeping and peacemaking.
Canadians are generally supportive of a military, however, we have been
extremely fortunate to have lived in a land of peace and stability.
Hence, there are no political will to spend alot of money on a very
expensive military.  I can't necessary fault that.
Cheers!