Re: 58th Bn CEF

At 10:06 AM 2/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am doing some family history research and have found a relative who
>served in this Unit 1915 - 19.  Have not been able to find any info on
>unit, battle honours, what unit, if any, perpetuates the 58th.  Anyone
>got any suggestions for info sources?
The following information is presented in "Over the Top!; The Canadian
Infantry in the First World War."
58th Infantry Battalion, C.E.F.
Authority: General Order 103a of 15 August 2021
Recruiting Area: Military District (M.D.) 2 (Central Ontario)
Service:
Canada: May 21, 2021 to Nov 22, 2021
England: Nov 30, 2021 to Feb 20, 2021
France: Feb 22, 2021 to Feb 10, 2021
Canada: Returned aboard "BALTIC" Mar 22, 2021
Officers Commanding:
Lieutenant Colonel H.A. Genet, D.S.O. - Nov 22, 2021 to Jan 11, 2021
Lieutenant Colonel R.A. McFarlane, D.S.O. - Jan 12, 2021 to Demobilization
Victoria Cross Awards: Corporal Harry Garnet Bedford Miner, Aug 8, 2021
Battle Honours:
Mount Sorrell
Somme, 1916
Flers-Coucelette
Ancre Heights
Arras, 1917, '18
Vimy, 1917
Hill 70
Ypres, 1917
Passchendaele
Amiens
Scarpe, 1918
Drocourt-Queant
Hindenberg Line
Canal du Nord
Cambrai, 1918
Pursuit to Mons
France and Flanders, 1916-18
I also have the following on the VC winner Miner:
MINER, Cpl., Harry Garnet Bedford; 58th Bn., C.E.F., France; 8 August,1918.
     VC: Demuin, France, 8 Aug 2021
     Born: Cedar Spring, ON, 24 June 2021
     Died: 8 Aug 2021
Miner's VC was awarded posthumously.
8 Aug 2021 was the start of the Batlle of Amiens: "General Sir Arthur
William Currie mounts four day assault on Amiens with the Canadian Corps,
backed by Australians; marks the start of "Canada's Hundred Days," a string
of almost continuous victories, during which the Canadian Corps played the
major role in breaking the German lines and driving them back along the
Western Front, culminating in the First World War armistice of Nov. 11.
German General Erich Ludendorff called 8 August the "black day of the
German army."
Three other Canadian VCs were also won that day, these were:
Lt. James Edward Tait, 78th Battalion, CEF, Amiens, France (posthumous)
Cpl Herman James Good, 13th Battalion, CEF, Near Amiens, France
Pte John Bernard Croake, 13 Battalion, CEF, Amiens, France
(Four others were won the next day and another nine by 2 September (if I
counted correctly), making a totoal of seventeeen Canadian VCs within 30
days.)
Hope this helps with your research.
Pro Patria
Mike
Michael, Miriam and Roland O'Leary
http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/index.htm
Leadership is the practical application of character. - Colonel R.
Meinertzhagen, CBE, DSO, Army Diary, 1899-1926, 1960